Decorating with Wall Art
Contemporary artwork can add an undercurrent of energy to any home, but many people with more traditional furnishings may be reluctant to take the plunge. That’s too bad, because mixing contemporary artwork with traditional décor is a lot easier than you may think – and it can add a welcome burst of color and energy that can help your entire room feel more focused and alive.
To get you started, here are five simple tips to help you incorporate contemporary art into your home:
- Less can be more: When it comes to adding contemporary art, you can’t go wrong with a single large piece or a pair of pieces to balance a long expanse of wall – for instance, the space over your sofa or sideboard.
- Lighten up: Use lighter work line drawings or monochromatic sketches in rooms with heavier pieces to avoid overwhelming the space.
- Think layers: A lot of contemporary artwork tends to feature bold colors or styles that can add another layer of visual texture to a room that’s heavy with traditional furniture. Use those traditional pieces to anchor the room, but let your wild side emerge through your artwork.
- Create the right backdrop: White or off-white walls are good choices for most contemporary artworks as well as southwestern art, which can be equally bold; in general, avoid hanging artwork on walls with busy wallpaper patterns that can wind up detracting from the artwork.
- Start small: If you’re not sure whether contemporary art is for you, start with a single small piece or a few pieces grouped together in a collage. Or mix a few small contemporary pieces with more traditional pieces in a gallery-style wall art grouping for really unique impact.
Start Your Contemporary Art Collection!
At Nieto Fine Art, we can help you find just the right piece for your traditional room. Browse the site and, if you have questions, send us a note or give us a call at 415-347-8173 to learn more.